Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there really no interest in SQL Standard?
Date: 2011-09-20 13:51:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On sön, 2011-09-18 at 12:43 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On sön, 2011-09-18 at 09:45 -0500, Dave Page wrote:
> >> That is much more reasonable, though unfortunately not what was said.
> >> Regardless, I stand by my main point that such a representative should
> >> be communicating with the project regularly. Having a rep who works
> >> outside the project is of no use at all.
>
> > Well, the point of this thread is, how can she communicate?
>
> +1 for a closed mailing list. It's a bit annoying to have to do such
> a thing, but it's not like we haven't got other closed lists for
> appropriate purposes.

Well, that much we've already decided a few years ago. The blocking
issues are: (1) do we have enough interest, and (2) where to put it (I'm
looking at you, pgfoundry).

> I guess the real question is, exactly what will be the requirements
> for joining?

As as far as I'm concerned, anyone who is known in the community and has
a plausible interest can join. The requirement is that we share this
material with "colleagues" for consultation, as opposed to posting it on
the public internet.