Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1081)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1081)
Date: 2008-10-08 17:49:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 17:25 +0900, KaiGai Kohei wrote:

> What should I do during the remaining 25 days?

I haven't been following this much, but I note that there is lots of
confusion over the international standards, guidelines, recommendations,
specifications etc that we should be following. AFAICS the requirements
have not been solidified and so there is little scope for examining the
patch to see if it meets any particular definition of usable.

It would be very useful to write a long Wiki article explaining what
standards you think the security community want and how those have been
implemented in your patches. And also ones they don't want and why.
Maybe you have all that already, so its just a case of exposing it.

If it is clearly written and easily publicly accessible (no patches
etc), then we can easily forward these links to people in the right
communities and they can provide feedback. I will forward to my UK Gov
contacts if you post a link (and to me, cos I'm not reading these
threads). Do it soon, please.

Once that's done, it can then be used as an info source for interested
people once the patch has been accepted, so it will be valuable over
time.

There's a clear need for Postgres in government and hi-security
businesses, so we need to get this right. But there's not much point
doing 65% or 135% of what's needed.

Your efforts and attention are appreciated by all.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com