Re: archives.postgresql.org change

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, w^3 <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: archives.postgresql.org change
Date: 2008-02-24 08:53:10
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 11:25 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 18:12 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We've just changed the archives site so that we only pull the mboxes
> >> from hub.org, and mhonarc is run locally on archives.pg.org. This is
> >> quicker -- we're now regenerating the archives every 15 minutes.
> >>
> >> Let me know (via this list, I guess) if anything weird crops up.
> >
> > Why was this done without any warning to the -www or sysadmins team?
>
> Uhh... this has been being talking about for *months*.

Really? I've missed that completely.

> > Aside from that, I assume you have verified that the search system still
> > pulls things in properly? That's where I'd see a potential issue, but I
> > don't have time to look into it right now (need to fix broken slides for
> > tomorrows FOSDEM talks)
>
> I think you are missing what we did :)
>
> It used to be that we rsynced all of archives.postgresql.org (website,
> php files, mbox files etc..).
>
> Now we just rsync mbox. Basically we are saving bandwidth and allowing
> marc to deccomission and old fbsd4 box. Operationally for all dependent
> stuff nothing should change. The locations, urls, ips etc.. didn't change.

I understand perfectly well what you did. But we've seen *a lot* of
cases before when moving one of these platform independent programs
(like mhonarc, which is written in perl IIRC) between Linux and FreeBSD
and get significantly different behaviour. Either in that it crashes, or
more often in that it gives different results without crashing. What you
did was move one of our core services from FreeBSD to Linux, which
potentially has a lot of effects. I'm not saying that something broke,
I'm just asking how much you actually verified.

AFAIK, we also had a bunch of customizations in mhonarc - did those get
migrated over, or are we now running a stock mhonarc?

> > Oh, and since you've been fiddling it, please get some documentation up
> > on pmt. We didn't have any for the old one that I can find, but we'd
> > really like some for the new one. (for one, we've been talking here at
> > FOSDEM about auto-syncing some things about the lists between that one
> > and the search stuff so we stop missing lists when they are added - and
> > it'd be nice to have a documented system to work off for that one)
>
> Sure.

Good, thanks!

Oh, and I also notice there has been zero commits about this to the
autobackup repository, so obviously none of this is included in said
backups - that also needs to be fixed.

//Magnus