Re: Summary: Options for PGCon Europe

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
To: pgeu-general <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: umit(dot)bozkir(at)linux(dot)org(dot)tr
Subject: Re: Summary: Options for PGCon Europe
Date: 2007-11-26 02:25:20
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 14:37 +0100, Robert Gravsjö wrote:
> After re-reading the mailing list and a little discussion on
> #postgresql-eu it seems to me there are two viable options for PGCon
> Europe:
>
> 1) AT/Vienna
> 2) IT/Prato

3) Istanbul, Turkey.

I've been talking to the folks who are organizing Guadec (Gnome Users
and Developers Conference) 2008 in Istanbul, and waiting for final
confirmation from them. One of the guys from them are CC'ed to this
e-mail.u

The plan is to make this conference at ITU (http://www.itu.edu.tr/e/ )
-- so that we can both have accommodation + conference rooms at the same
place. Given that these folks organize Turkey's most important open
source event every year (since 2002, and 1500+ people attend those
conferences each yearh), they have enough experience for PGDay.

Istanbul has some advantages, like we have many people to host speakers,
attendees, etc. You can find food of various cultures -- and no need to
say, beer is cheap (and you can drink beer near sea, etc) ;) Seriously,
people can find time to see the beauties of Istanbul, which is also a
very good opportunity for a 1-week holiday :) I have also talked to some
local companies in TR for sponsorship issues.

ITU's advantages are:

* Easy transportation
* Near city center.
* we can record the talks
* No need to pay for the conference -- a small amount will be enough (I
think)
* etc etc.

Also, we can invite people from Turkish Government + companies and
people will be aware of PostgreSQL more and more.

As I wrote, I'm still waiting for final confirmation from them -- but
can we please hold the poll for 4-5 days?

I'm not sure whether I will be able to attend or not ( :( ), but please
make sure that all of the folks will host each attendee very well.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE