Re: [GENERAL] a bug, the bugs list, and how to break the website search.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff MacDonald <bignose(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] a bug, the bugs list, and how to break the website search.
Date: 2005-10-04 23:10:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

Jeff MacDonald <bignose(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 1: Go to the website and type in "now()" into the search box, it will break
> Error in query: Unmatched parenthesis

> 2: On the support page beside pgsql-bugs, it tells us to post in the
> bug reporting form, AND signup for 2 mailing lists. I can't possibly
> see how this would encourage anyone to want to report a bug if they
> have to jump thru these hoops. Just my 2 cents.

The above would better be reported to pgsql-www; perhaps the website
maintainers will notice it here, or perhaps they won't. (But I've
cc'd that list, so you need not report it again.)

As for the second point, you can *either* subscribe to pgsql-bugs (and
email your report) or use the report form; you need not do both. If
the website gives the wrong impression then it should be fixed.

> Lets say i have a table with a row that looks something like this..

> articleposted timestamp default now(),

> And yesterday afternoon I did a dump/restore. Now my table reads

> article posted | timestamp with time zone | default '2005-10-03
> 17:14:25.581388-04'::timestamp with time zone

I don't believe that your default was now(). It was probably more
like
articleposted timestamp default 'now'
which is a thinko specifically warned against in the documentation.