Re: fatal error in pg.log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fatal error in pg.log
Date: 2005-12-01 16:45:46
Lists: pgsql-general

"Medora Schauer" <mschauer(at)fairfield(dot)com> writes:
> We are using ver 7.3.4 (old I know but we can't upgrade until early next
> year) on a linux 2.4 system and are having some flaky problems with our
> apps. They just die at apparently random times. In trying to figure
> out what is going on I noticed a couple of messages in pg.log that
> concern me:

> FATAL: unsupported frontend protocol

This suggests that you have some 7.4-or-later clients out there. They
will try to connect using the 7.4 protocol, fail as above, and fall back
to the older protocol. Nothing to worry about.

> WARNING: Message from PostgreSQL backend:
> The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
> died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

This is bad, but it's unrelated to the other message, and you didn't
show us the message that it *is* related to.