Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Chad Wagner <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date: 2007-02-21 09:17:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Do 97% of transactions commit because Oracle has slow rollbacks and
> developers are working around that performance issue, or because they
> really commit?
>
> I have watched several developers that would prefer to issue numerous
> selects to verify things like foreign keys in the application in
> order to avoid a rollback.

Most of the code we have will not afford a rollback because it can be
part of a much bigger transaction which would have much higher
performance penalty if retried than a simple rollback. And you know that
in postgres you can't roll back just the last insert, you will crash the
whole transaction with it... and it's simply a performance bottleneck to
retry in a high contention scenario (which is usually so in our case).

So I would say we don't avoid rollbacks because of the cost of the
rollback, but because of the cost of the retry...

Cheers,
Csaba.