Re: NOTICE vs WARNING

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NOTICE vs WARNING
Date: 2003-08-25 21:04:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Can someone explain in succinct and general terms what the difference
> between a NOTICE and a WARNING is? I'm currently examining the validity
> of notice and warning messages throughout the backend, but I find these
> categories to be applied inconsistently.

I'm sure they are :-(. WARNING was invented much later than NOTICE, and
I don't believe anyone tried to come up with a hard-and-fast distinction,
much less go through the code line-by-line to apply it consistently to
existing NOTICEs.

I'd say that WARNING means "this is probably wrong, you'd better take
a close look" while NOTICE is something that's probably OK but we want
to tell the user what we're doing. Dunno whether that's precise enough
though.