Re: I know installation questions are boring ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Jerusalem <ajeru(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I know installation questions are boring ...
Date: 2000-11-17 01:28:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Alexander Jerusalem <ajeru(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> I keep getting an intresting error message: "FATAL 1: Version number in
> file '../data/PG_VERSION' should be 7.0, not 7.0"
> Any ideas?

PG_VERSION should contain the 4 bytes "7.0\n". The initdb script
creates it in what may be too simplistic a fashion:

echo $version > "$PGDATA/PG_VERSION"

It sounds like your copy of echo decided to write the newline as
DOS-style \r\n instead of just \n.

Of course this just begs the question of why it works for some people
on NT and not others. Is this a difference across cygwin releases,
perhaps?