Re: Tablespace patch review

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespace patch review
Date: 2004-06-19 05:39:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Well, I didn't use tablespaces here so the pg_tablespaces directory is
> empty, so I can't think of what the tablespace is.

You look in the pg_tablespace catalog for the row with that OID.

> Also, are we calling it pg_tablespaces (plural) rather than
> pg_tablespace?

I didn't have any particular opinion about that till just now ...
but now I see that it's a good idea for the pg_tablespaces directory
(the one that holds all the symlinks) to have a different name from the
pg_tablespace catalog, especially since the latter has a couple of rows
that do not correspond to any entries in the former.

I'm not wedded to "pg_tablespaces" as the name in particular, but
it should not be "pg_tablespace", or we'll suffer the same confusion
over and over that you just did.