Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem

From: <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com>
To: "'Vincent Hikida'" <vhikida(at)inreach(dot)com>, "'scott(dot)marlowe'" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "'Avi Schwartz'" <avi(at)CFFtechnologies(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem
Date: 2003-06-04 22:50:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Oracle *incorrectly* interprets blank (empty) strings as NULL. They are NOT
the same. A string of zero characters is a string nonetheless. A NULL is
"the absence of value", which equals nothing (theoretically not even another
NULL).

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085