Re: Refactoring of command.c

From: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "John Gray" <jgray(at)azuli(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refactoring of command.c
Date: 2002-02-27 15:24:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dug the below out of googles cache -- it's what the BSDs do for moving
files in cvs.

What is a repo-copy?
A repo-copy (which is a short form of ``repository copy'') refers to
the direct copying of files within the CVS repository.

Without a repo-copy, if a file needed to be copied or moved to another
place in the repository, the committer would run cvs add to put the
file in its new location, and then cvs rm on the old file if the old
copy was being removed.

The disadvantage of this method is that the history (i.e. the entries
in the CVS logs) of the file would not be copied to the new location.
As the FreeBSD Project considers this history very useful, a
repository copy is often used instead. This is a process where one of
the repository meisters will copy the files directly within the
repository, rather than using the cvs program.

--
Rod Taylor

This message represents the official view of the voices in my head