Re: Partitioned table limitation

From: "paul rivers" <rivers(dot)paul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'Goboxe'" <hadzramin(dot)ar(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned table limitation
Date: 2007-10-01 17:38:30
Lists: pgsql-general

We currently use partitioning by date and id, with 1/4 a year of dates and
approximately 10 IDs (and slowly increasing). Each partition runs from
around 1 million to 20 million rows.

Whether it's recommended or not, I don't know. But for us, the partitioning
works exactly as advertised. As with anything new, I'd take the time to
setup a simple test to see if it works for you, too.

In particular, be sure to check the documentation on caveats. You'll find
these a little stricter than partitioning issues in Oracle or SQL Server.

HTH,
Paul