Re: ACK table corrupted, unique index violated.

From: "Brian Hirt" <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Postgres Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Brian A Hirt" <bhirt(at)berkhirt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ACK table corrupted, unique index violated.
Date: 2001-12-12 20:38:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom,

I'm a little uncomfortable about giving ssh access to our box. We have a
lot of sensitive information in the database, and we would be violating our
privacy policy by giving someone access. If there is some way I could give
you any information, or help you out that would be better. I ended up
shutting down postgres and copying the pgdata directory somewhere else and
re-creating the database -- so i do have a copy of the corrupted database.

I've been doing a little investigating and i might have a possible lead.
The two tables that were corrupted recently had new indexes put on them that
are based on a plpgsql function. Basically in the form "create index blah
on table(myfunction(blah_id))" These are the only two tables in my system
that have an index using a plpgsql function. Both tables became corrupt on
the same day, and the corruption happened the night that i added the
indexes. I have no imperical evidence to support that this is the cause,
but it seems possible.

One other note, even after recreating the database, I'm getting NOTICE
"InvalidateShardeInvalid" and "RegisterSharedInvalid: SI buffer overflow".
I never used to get them and now I'm getting tons of them. Should this
concern me? I don't understand the implications.