scheduling table design

From: "Barnes" <aardvark(at)ibm(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: scheduling table design
Date: 2000-02-23 16:48:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to build what amounts to an appointment book for a doctor's
office. The office has multiple doctors, and my application is going to
handle patient appointment scheduling for all the doctors(among many other
things). Anyway, I am looking for advice on database table design.

I'll be tracking the date and time of the appointment, the doctor, reason
for the appointment, insurance company authorization and the patient's name.
I'll also need to be able to view open appointment blocks, and I would like
as much flexibility as possible in setting the times of appointments.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice regarding table design, I would
really appreciate it. I'm not sure at all where to start. With things like
open appointments, this seems much more complex than the typical name,
address, phone number databases I've done in the past.

Thank you for any help.

David Barnes