Re: BUG #15587: Partitions with ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15587: Partitions with ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT
Date: 2019-01-24 01:59:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 2019/01/24 6:07, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Hello
>
>> Are you be willing to try to fix that in HEAD if someone sends a patch? :)
>
> Well, we can discuss it in a new thread I suppose.

Sure, a new thread on -hackers.

> Do we need
> non-inheritable constraints for that case? I think not, but maybe I'm
> wrong.

Defining non-inheritable constraints on *partitioned* parent tables is
disallowed because they would never be checked and so pointless. I'm not
sure if we'd want to include the regular inheritance case (ALTER TABLE
child INHERIT new_parent) in this new development, but if we do, we'll
have to arrange to skip cloning parent's non-inheritable constraints.

Thanks,
Amit