Re: How to fast the REINDEX

From: raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pierre C <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, sclark(at)netwolves(dot)com, craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au, jorge_montero(at)homedecorators(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to fast the REINDEX
Date: 2010-04-01 13:47:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi All,

System Config
---------------------
CPU - Intel® Xenon® CPU
CPU Speed - 3.16 GHz
Server Model - Sun Fire X4150
RAM-Size - 16GB

> Steve:

So am I to understand I don't need to do daily reindexing as a maintenance
> measure with 8.3.7 on FreeBSD.

My question is something like Steve's, why we should not do reindexing as
our maintenance task. I was doing reindex only to get
a best fit and not fall short of 90% hole, bcoz my table has lot of updates
and deletes. We also has the weekly maintance of VACUUM, but still reindex
takes lot of time.

Present Paramters settings
maintainence_work_mem - 1GB
Checkpoint_segment and Wal_buffers are default values.

Kevin, Pierre, Greg, Steve, Hannu, Jorge ----- Thank you for your
wonderfull support and giving me the correct picture on REINDEX on this
thread. I appoligies if i couldnt have shared the proper information in
resolving my issue. Is the above information provided by me will help out in
tuning better.

Regards
Raghavendra