Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alex Knight <knight(at)phunc(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-06-27 22:42:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> > > Even though it may appear that your server is doing a lot, it's not facing
> > > the load of a highly scaled enterprise level e-commerce site, where RedHat
> > > just doesn't cut it.
> >
> > That claim is bogus. Red Hat Linux is the number one linux by far in
> > enterprise deployments.
>
> And MS has more enterprise deployments than RH. Does that make MS
> better than RH?

No, but they aren't a toy either - while they are closed source, and
trying to force you to their world as much as possible and restricting
freedom (like upgrading your machine when running XP) and a monopolist
blatantly using their force in the desktop market to increase adoption
of new products (hailstorm, IE, original NT server etc), NT isn't just
a toy anymore.

All I'm pointing out is that Red Hat Linux does cut in at enterprise
level e-commerce cites (we're powering a few of those) - some may not
like the product, more don't like Red Hat, but Red Hat Linux is a
good and valid alternative. Whether is right for you, depend on your
needs, sum you're willing to spend (few things beat Sun Starfire :)
and the expertise you have or can build up.
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.