Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Date: 2001-12-17 16:26:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That's been Mark's primary argument all along, and what it ignores is
> that the standard behavior for daemons is designed around the assumption
> that a system is running only one copy of any given daemon. That's a
> fine assumption for most daemons but an unacceptable one for Postgres.

I don't think there would be that much problems with it, but you can
always have defaults in one location and allow them to be overridable.

> > However, it wouldn't surprize me in the least for a distributor
> > such as Red Hat to apply this patch.
>
> Oh, I doubt it...
>
> regards, tom lane
> Red Hat Database project

Don't. I'd do it in a heartbeat - I'd love to have /etc/postgresql/
with defaults. Configuration files should not be located in /var.

regards, Trond Eivind Glomsrød
developer, Red Hat Linux developer
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød