Re: Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind=?iso-8859-1?q?_Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Jan Dittberner <jan(at)jan-dittberner(dot)de>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"
Date: 2000-06-15 16:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I can't find the original message, so I'll have to do some indirect answering.

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:

> Jan Dittberner wrote:
>
> > > Yes! Try a simple --rebuild of my SRPM first -- then, send me a diff of
>
> > I did so, I build packages for Mandrake. Your SPEC file is great and
> > I had only to do some little changes for full Mandrake compliance.
>
> > - pack all source files with bzip2, even those you left
> > uncompressed

If the postgresql team releases bz2 - good. If there is no file

ftp://foo.bar.com/xyzzy.tar.bz2

but just

ftp://foo.bar.com/xyzzy.tar.gz

then using that URL is just lying. Don't do that. Surely Mandrake
doesn't do that?

> > - extract the .jar files and the init/logrotate scripts at their destination
> > - bzip2 all man pages

Don't. This should be handled automatically with the "--buildpolicy"
flag[1]. like we do. Besides, bzipping man pages is in the "use bzip2,
even though there is no point in it" category.

[1] Like this: "rpm -ba --buildpolicy redhat postgresql.spec"

No need to strip or compress explicitly.
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.