Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Alex Knight <knight(at)phunc(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Barnard <tbarnard(at)povn(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-06-27 21:16:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Alex Knight <knight(at)phunc(dot)com> writes:

> 1) Distribution of Linux to have the largest number of "out of the box"
> security holes. Check back and look at the security reports. Count them if
> you insist.

And check for the number of them being Red Hat specific.

> 2) Most commercial software made _for_ RedHat (some companies only
> "support" RedHat) insist that you use RPM to install their software,
> otherwise you are SOL. Most commercial software made _for_ _Linux_
> supports all distributions.

That depends very much on the level of support you're giving - for a
big, complex you want to support as few environments as possible. You
can use it other places, but won't be supported to the same degree.

> 3) So much extra crap running to begin with, eating up extra memory, cpu,
> etc.

You're obviously unfamiliar with it.

> I'm sure we could go on, but this isn't a Linux list :)

Agreed. And of course, it isn't very interesting to discuss with
someone who is unfamiliar with the product.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.