recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation

From: Andrey V Khavryutchenko <akhavr(at)compchem(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: recovering data from pgsql 6.1 installation
Date: 1998-12-01 10:06:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi!

The problem:

We've had the pgsql 6.1 installation made by previous admin. Due
instability, I am to upgrade it to the current one. Having no previous
experience with pgsql, I've forgot to dump db :(

Now, neither pgsql 6.3, 6.2 or even 6.1 can't read the db.

$ psql mailing
Connection to database 'mailing' failed.
PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
before responding. This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request.

How I can find more verbose error message? What are the possible ways to
recover the data? Pointers to TFM would be very helpfull.

--
SY, Andrey V Khavryutchenko http://www.kbi.kiev.ua/~akhavr

Shick's Law:
There is no problem a good miracle can't solve.