Re: USECS_* constants undefined with float8 timestamps?

From: "Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: USECS_* constants undefined with float8 timestamps?
Date: 2011-08-12 21:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
>> <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I just noticed that the USECS_* constants are not defined when
>> > the server is compiled without integer dates and timestamps.
[snip]
>> I don't see any particular reason not define them unconditionally.
>
> Well, they are only used by integer dates, so why expand their
> visibility? The define does make it clear how they are used. I
> suppose if someone wanted to use them outside that case, we could
> open them up. It is true that with integer dates now the default, we
> might find that someone introduces compile problems by using them
> outside the integer dates scope.

I found a use for them in PL/Java which detects at run-time whether
the server is using floating point or integer dates. The simplest way
was just to use magic numbers instead on the off chance it's compiled
with a server using float dates.

--
Johann Oskarsson http://www.2ndquadrant.com/ |[]
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--

Blog: http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/