Re: Performance monitor

From: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Justin Clift <aa2(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance monitor
Date: 2001-03-09 04:05:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Seems we will find out when people complain my performance monitor
> doesn't show the proper columns. :-)

So what is the proper columns ? Or let me rephrase, what will your DBA be
able to monitor using the performance monitor ?

Query stats, IO stats, cache hit/miss ratios ?

As someone often recomending the database, I would like to have more
precise info about where the problem is when pgsql hits the roof - but this
might more into the auditing land, than straight performance
territory. Anyway it would be very nice to have tools that could help to
identify the database bottlenecks of your apps. I've already got some tools
on the Java side, but getting recorded data from the database side could
only help me analyze the system and blast bottlenecks.

regards,

Gunnar