Re: Time to scale up?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Advocacy(at)Postgresql(dot)Org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to scale up?
Date: 2006-07-26 16:25:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Thomas,

> Finally assume that the community board, when similar proposals
> arrive, will encourage the proposing parties to merge on the thesis
> that cooperation is far more productive than a beauty contest (well
> most of the time anyway).

Ah, so you're planning on merging with PL/J?

The different solutions are different because of technical decisions
which they made differently, usually for very good reasons. Slony-I
is trigger-based, Mammoth is log-based, and no matter which you prefer
they're not going to merge code.

BTW, our replication/clustering solutions include:

Slony-I
pgPool
Mammoth*
Postgres-R
pgCluster
Sequoia/p|cluster*
dbMirror/eRserv/other older solutions
ExtenDB*
Bizgres MPP*
Windows/Red Hat/Solaris clustered FS*

(*=proprietary/external)

I think any community packaged distribution should encourage this
diversity, not try to crush it.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500