Re: Are circular REFERENCES possible ?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Denis Bucher <dbucher(at)niftycom(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are circular REFERENCES possible ?
Date: 2001-08-07 17:52:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jan,

> All of this is wrong. If the constraints are defined to be
> INITIALLY DEFERRED, all you have to do is to wrap all the
> changes that put the database into a temporary inconsistent
> state into a transaction. What is a good idea and strongly
> advised anyway.
>
> DEFERRED means, that the consistency WRT the foreign key
> constratins will be checked at COMMIT time instead of the
> actual statement. So if you

Hmmm... sounds interesting. Can this be done through functions? I.E.,
if I put the INSERT/INSERT/UPDATE operation inside a function, does it
automatically wait until the function completes before checking
constraints?

> Josh, maybe you should buy a newer SQL-bo... :-)
>
> Got ya (LOL)!

Zap! Ouch. ;-)

> The point is that we based our implementation of foreign keys
> on the SQL3 specs. DEFERRED is not in SQL-92 AFAIK.

Know a good SQL3 book? I bought O'Reilly's SQL In A Nutshell for that,
but the book has numerous omissions and a few mistakes.

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533