Re: Why can't I .........

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: mbenzid(at)yahoo(dot)de (Mounir Benzid), pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why can't I .........
Date: 2001-08-07 16:34:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

Mounir,

> -- do a join between two databases within the same installation.
>
> ... where db1.table1.userid = db2.table2.userid

Because this is not supported on PostgreSQL. There are a number of
reasons, and it may never be supported because there are drawbacks to
allowing databases to reference each other (mainly security).

> -- use labels to name columns in this way
>
> ... select col1 userid, col2 name from ... (instead of using AS)

Because AS is the ANSI SQL 92 standard. And we like standards.

> -- do an update with full referenced colomns
>
> ... update table1 set table1.col1=value

Because UPDATES, per the SQL 92 standard, are on one table only. Thus
any refenced columns *must* belong to that table, and if so, why name
it?

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes