Re: select with multiple occurences in same table

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "William Herring" <wherring(at)mail(dot)ifas(dot)ufl(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select with multiple occurences in same table
Date: 2001-06-25 22:37:39
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

WIlliam,

> Table "inventorytrack"
> Attribute | Type | Modifier
> ------------+-----------+----------
> tattoo | text |
> past_group | text |
> ranch | text |
> ent_date | timestamp |
> indate | date |

Are you sure that you're using the most efficient data types for this
table? And where's your primary key?

> In the above table, I have multiple occurrences of ‘tattoo’.
> However, some
> of the tattoo’s have null value in ‘indate’, some do not. I would
> like to
> select those tattoos with a null indate, unless there is another
> identical
> tattoo in the table that has a date value in ‘indate’.

THis one is easy. However, I'm not sure exactly waht you want; the
sample return tuples you provided do not match what you asked for!

If you wanted to answer the question above:

SELECT * FROM inventorytrack
WHERE indate IS NULL
AND NOT EXISTS (
SELECT tattoo FROM inventorytrack it2
WHERE it2.tattoo = inventorytrack.tattoo
AND indate IS NOT NULL );

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533