Postgres 7.4 source building problem

From: "Pieter du Plooy" <pjduplooy(at)ananzi(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres 7.4 source building problem
Date: 2003-11-19 08:48:34
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I have been running the compiled 7.3.4-2 bs2 version under
cygwin. I have recently upgraded my cygwin, and is running
the latest cygipc (ipc-daemon2) with it. I have just
downloaded 7.4 source. When I try to build it (runing
configure, I get an error that states that the compiler can
not create executables. I have searched the net, and seems
that a couple of people have experienced problems with gcc
3 (compiler flags that may be different etc etc). I have
experienced this problem with gcc 2.95. I have tried to
fix the problem following steps published on the internet,
but to no avail.

I have even tried building 7.4 using an old cygwin (but
with ipc-daemon2 already running as a service), and still
no luck.

I remember that previously when I have tried to build
previous versions of PG, that configure worked, but then
some other errors occured during gmake and gmake install.
(An old version of cygipc was running).

Could there be a problem between cygipc and gcc?

I am running Windows XP with 7.3.4 wit no problems.

If possible, I would request the following:

1. Anybody that can help me with this problem,
2. Anybody that can tell me what packages to use under
cygwin to successfully build the 7.4 source (so that I can
run 7.4),
3. When is the 7.4 bz2 binary being released?

Sincerly

Pieter du Plooy

==
Download ringtones, logos and picture messages at Ananzi Mobile Fun.
http://www.ananzi.co.za/cgi-bin/goto.pl?mobile