First meeting?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: First meeting?
Date: 2002-10-27 22:56:44
Lists: sfpug

Folks,

I'd like to begin discussing the first meeting of the San Francisco Bay
Area PostgreSQL User's Group. If possible, I'd like to hold it in
early November. Since it'll take a lot of back-and-forth on this list
to find out what works for most people, let's get started.

The idea of the meeting voting is for you to select your preferences in
answer to each question, in order, rather than just checking off one
option. I'll give you an example with my vote, below the questions.

0) Are you interested in having in-person PostgreSQL Users Group
meetings? (Yes/No) (skip the rest if No)

1) How often should our group meet?
___ a. Bimonthly
___ b. Monthly

2) Where should we meet, regionally?
___ a. East Bay
___ b. San Francisco
___ c. Alternating East Bay and SF
___ d. Somewhere else: _________________________

3) What day and time should we meet?
___ a. Monday Evening
___ b. Tuesday Evening
___ c. Wednesday Evening
___ d. Thursday Evening
___ e. Friday Evening
___ f. On the Weekend

4)a) If we meet on a weekday evening, what should the meeting format
be?
___ a. Dinner, Presentations, Schmoozing
___ b. After-dinner schmoozing, presentations.
___ c. Completely informal schmoozing

4)b) If we meed on a weekend, what time and format do you picture?

5) Do you have connections with a place or places that we can meet? If
so, where, how much would it cost, and what advantages and
disadvantages does it have?

6) Would you rather hold our first meeting in the first (full) week of
November, the second week, the third week, or some later date?
___ a. First full week of Novemeber (4th -10th)
___ b. second week (11th-16th)
___ c. third week (18th-24th)
___ d. some other time: ________________________

There will be more questions as we narrow down the time, date and
format of the meeting.

--Josh Berkus

My answers follow as an example of how to provide your opinion so that
I can tally up answers:

0) Are you interested in having in-person PostgreSQL Users Group
meetings? (Yes/No) (skip the rest if No)
Yes

1) How often should our group meet?
_2_ a. Bimonthly
_1_ b. Monthly

2) Where should we meet, regionally?
_3_ a. East Bay
_1_ b. San Francisco
_2_ c. Alternating East Bay and SF
_4_ d. Somewhere else: _________________________

3) What day and time should we meet?
_3_ a. Monday Evening
_1_ b. Tuesday Evening
_4_ c. Wednesday Evening
_2_ d. Thursday Evening
_5_ e. Friday Evening
_6_ f. On the Weekend

4)a) If we meet on a weekday evening, what should the meeting format
be?
_1_ a. Dinner, Presentations, Schmoozing
_2_ b. After-dinner schmoozing, presentations.
_3_ c. Completely informal schmoozing

4)b) If we meed on a weekend, what time and format do you picture?
__Maybe Sunday afternoon tea, presenation, and schmoozing.__

5) Do you have connections with a place or places that we can meet? If
so, where, how much would it cost, and what advantages and
disadvantages does it have?

a) Carta Restaraunt
Market Street Near Guerrero, San Francisco.
Some kind of nominal meeting fee.
Requires Dinner/Presentation/Schmooze format.
Advantages: Gourmet food and drinks, I know the owner,
large quiet private dining room.
Disadavantages: Parking not great (but not awful),
food/drinks not cheap ($10-$25 per person),
not near BART

b) My Office
Market Street Near Van Ness
Free
Requires schmooze/presentation format, or
all-schmooze format.
Advantages: Free, Computer network access,
copier.
Disadvantages: Limited size (about 8 people),
Food limited to delivery/take out,
parking bad on SF Opera nights,
about 1/4 mile from BART,
people must be buzzed in

c) Other ideas: Piraro's in Berkeley, an internet cafe' somewhere?

6) Would you rather hold our first meeting in the first (full) week of
November, the second week, the third week, or some later date?
_2_ a. First full week of Novemeber (4th -10th)
_1_ b. second week (11th-16th)
_3_ c. third week (18th-24th)
_4_ d. some other time: ___Early December_______