Re: Problems with psql : ERROR : pg_user: permission

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joseph(dot)ROTHWELL(at)solystic(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with psql : ERROR : pg_user: permission
Date: 2002-05-07 17:38:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Joseph,

> Hello, I began using postgresql last week so please excuse me for my
> stupid
> questions.

Excused <grin>

> When I start psql with SSHLogin in Webmin under windowsNT, I get
> access to the
> db I asked for but I always have the message ERROR : pg_user:
> permission denied
> on the first line, before "Welcome to psql, the Postr...", Could
> someone tell me
> what it means.
> Another problem with psql is that I can't type \ which is very
> ennoying as I
> can't even get help in psql with \?. When I type \, nothing appears
> and psql
> quits.
> Please help.

From the sound of it, PSQL on your NT box is not working properly. The
"permission denied" message should bounce you out of psql entirely, not
result in the odd behavior you describe. I suspect that you have an
installation problem

I suggest that you join the PGSQL-CYGWIN mailing list, and re-submit
your problem to that list. (more step-by-step detail, with
cut-and-paste of actual error messages, will help).

-Josh Berkus