Re: vacuuming and freed disk space

From: dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com (Mike Castle)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuuming and freed disk space
Date: 2003-04-29 23:48:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

In article <20030429143356(dot)C5EFD3F04(at)guthrie(dot)charm(dot)net>,
john <jimmer(at)guthrie(dot)charm(dot)net> wrote:
>i am looking at our database table maintenance. we are running a "space
>watch" task that looks at available disk space and removes old records
>when/if a certain threshold is passed.

I'm wondering: why?

If you just regularly expired old information anyway, PG will reuse the
data, so you should end up with a steady state. If really paranoid you can
monitor various PG stats, I believe, and use that to dry when to
delete/vacuum. But your current approach seemed a little odd to me (a bit
too non-deterministic is my gut feeling).

mrc

--
Mike Castle dalgoda(at)ix(dot)netcom(dot)com www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan. -- Watchmen