Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?
Date: 1999-10-14 16:07:12
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

At 7:04 AM -0700 10/14/99, Clark C. Evans wrote:
>Bruce,
>
>Were you going to do this as a "group" project or
>is it a "solo" venture?
>
>If its a group project, I assume you are the "owner"
>of the "uber-contract" until it sells to a book
>publisher. To do this right, you would divide
>this contract into small peices, or sub-contracts.
>Then, as people contribute, their time is tracked
>against these components. Right now, for instance,
>you have a book-outline project which people are
>working on; it could be decided that the book-outline
>sub contract is worth ".5%" of the book ownership.
>Then, as people track their time against these
>sub-contracts, a summary (once a week) is presented
>to you (the owner of the contract) for approval
>of their hours. If approved, then the contributer

The way this is normally done is to do a page or word count of the finished
product. Each author owns a "chapter". The editor negotiates with the
publisher and takes a cut off the top. Counting time is a bad idea IMHO.
Too much uncertainty and inequity.

Of course in this case there is a lot of pre-existing text which makes
counting pages hard. Is there any way we can make this whole thing owned
by postgresql.org and just use the proceeds for the project? I haven't
been tracking the legal status.

h(dot)b(dot)hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu