Re: Error handling in plperl and pltcl

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error handling in plperl and pltcl
Date: 2004-11-21 08:16:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> There's an ancient saying "I can make this code arbitrarily fast ...
> if it doesn't have to give the right answer". I think that applies
> here. Fast and unsafe is not how the Postgres project customarily
> designs things.
I'm missing something, that's clear. Because I can't see why the PL/Java
way of doing it is anything but both fast and 100% safe. I agree 100%
that unsafe is not an option.

I'm arguing that since my design is totally safe, intuitive, and cover
90% of the use-cases, it is the best one.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

PS.
The current design that prevents non-volatile functions from doing
things with side effects is not very safe ;-) I persist claiming that
there's a better (and safe) way to handle that.