Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents

From: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Software Patents
Date: 2005-04-22 15:09:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> but do we cast a
> shadow across the project by taking an 'anti-patent' stance when one of
> our major contributors most probably has *several*?

Fujitsu is a commercial entity, forced to play by the game stipulated by
current patent laws. That's not mean that they love their patents. I
think it is very far fetched to assume that Fujitsu (or anyone else)
would be offended if we state that we don't like software patents.

I also strongly feel that the PostgreSQL community should express their
opinion freely. Speculations on what opinions a sponsor might or might
not have should really have no significance at all.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren