Re: BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a

From: Bernard <bht(at)actrix(dot)gen(dot)nz>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1830: Non-super-user must be able to copy from a
Date: 2005-08-18 23:37:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Oliver and interested list members:

Thanks for the related information.

The majority of JDBC users trying to bulk load tables would not want
to send the data through their connection. This connection is designed
to send commands and to transfer only as much data as necessary and as
little as possible.

In other words, COPY, and its corresponding commands in other datbase
engines are designed to transfer data using the fastest possible
method, which is typically to and from files.

For the majority JDBC users, there is no real need for a STDIN/STDOUT
option because they can always write to a file.

The need is only created by the limitations of the Postgres COPY
command.

I can't see why a workaround should be developed instead of or before
fixing the COPY command.

It works in other DB engines.

Regards

Bernard