Re: Unicode problems on IRC

From: Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode problems on IRC
Date: 2005-04-11 03:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2005-04-10, "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> That's right, dono how I missed that one, but looks correct to me, and
> is in line with the code in ConvertUTF.c from unicode.org, on which I
> based the patch, extended to support 6 byte utf8 characters.

Frankly, you should probably de-extend it back down to 4 bytes. That's
enough to encode the Unicode range of 0x000000 - 0x10FFFF, and enough
other stuff would break if anyone allocated a character outside that
range that I don't think it it worth worrying about. (Even the ISO
people have agreed to conform to that limitation.) Even if insanity
struck simultaneously at both standards bodies, 4 bytes is enough to
go to 0x1FFFFF so there is still substantial slack. (A number of other
specifications based on utf-8 have removed the 5 and 6 byte sequences
too, so there is substantial precedent for this.)

--
Andrew, Supernews