Re: Calculation Functions between Columns

From: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Calculation Functions between Columns
Date: 2004-09-27 17:57:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2004-09-26, Neacal <deb(at)mac(dot)ppc> wrote:

> In the O'Reilly book, I can find a number of functions described which
> look like tools for the job, but they are all mentioned as methods to
> SELECT FROM, rather than INSERT INTO. I haven't found anything (so
> far) on columns that can depend on/derive from other columns. Have I
> missed something, or doesn't PostgreSQL do this sort of thing?

What you are describing sounds like a good use for a "view" to me.

Here's an example:

CREATE TABLE sales (
amount int,
quantity int
);

INSERT into sales values (2,3);

CREATE view sub_total as
SELECT (amount * quantity) as subtotal
FROM sales;

SELECT * from sub_total;

subtotal
6

There are more complex solutions as well, such as using triggers to
automatically update the value of one column based on others.

Mark