Re: Detecting changes to certain fields in 'before update' trigger functions

From: Sebastian Tennant <sebyte(at)smolny(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting changes to certain fields in 'before update' trigger functions
Date: 2008-12-01 18:18:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Quoth Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte(at)smolny(dot)plus(dot)com> writes:
>> I sometimes think this kind of gotcha is purposely buried, or not
>> addressed at all, in order to force users to read the manual.
>
> Where exactly do you think we should document it, if not in the
> manual?

I clearly didn't express myself very well. Let me set the record
straight by saying that my experience with PostgreSQL over the past
three months or so has been fantastic, thanks in no small part to the
clear and comprehensive accompanying manual.

All I meant was that it sometimes _feels_ as if a vital piece of
information has been buried in the manual in order to make you read it.

(I wasn't making a serious point and I didn't expect it to be taken
literally).

Sebastian

P.S. Emacs users of PostgreSQL might like to know that there's a
texinfo version of the manual (version 8.3.3) available for
download from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/PostGreSQL