Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: beta3 Solaris 7 (SPARC) port report [ Was: Looking for . . . ]
Date: 2001-01-25 20:04:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de> writes:

> I just typed
>
> $ mount
>
> and I get
>
> /tmp on swap read/write/setuid on Mon Jan 22 16:39:32 2001
>
> for the /tmp directory, which looks distinctly odd to me. What kind of
> device is swap (I know what swap is normally but I didn't know you could
> mount stuff there . . . )??

That is a tmpfs file system which uses swap space for /tmp storage.
Both swap usage and /tmp compete for the same partition on the disk.
If you have a lot of swapping programs, you don't get to put much in
/tmp. If you have a lot of files in /tmp, you don't get to run many
programs.

As far as I can recall, this is a Sun specific thing.

It's a reasonable idea on a stable system. It's a pretty crummy idea
on a development system, or one with unpredictable loads. My
experience is that either something goes crazy and fills up /tmp and
then you can't run anything else and you have to reboot, or something
goes crazy and fills up swap and then you can't write any /tmp files
and daemon processes start to silently die and you have to reboot.

Ian