Re: AW: AW: AW: Re: tinterval - operator problems on AIX

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Pete Forman <pete(dot)forman(at)westerngeco(dot)com>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: AW: Re: tinterval - operator problems on AIX
Date: 2001-01-19 22:26:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> More importantly, you *should* *not* do these tests in configure because
> these tests will be unreliable in a cross-compilation situation.
> Cross-compilation in this context does not only mean compiling between
> completely different platforms, but it includes any setup where the build
> system is configured differently from the system you're going to run the
> system on, including building on a noexec file system, misconfigured
> run-time linkers, different user id, or just a different file system
> layout on an otherwise identical platform.

An approach I've followed in the past is to use three-way logic. If
configuring for a native system, compile and run a program which
provides a yes or no answer. When using cross-configuration, set the
configuration variable to ``don't know'' (or, since this a database
group, NULL).

Pull all code which needs to make this test into a single routine.
Let it check the configuration variable. If the variable is ``don't
know,'' then compile in a static variable, and run the required test
once, at run time, and set the static variable accordingly. Then test
the static variable in all future calls.

This is the approach I used in my UUCP code to look for a bad version
of ftime on some versions of SCO Unix--the ftime result would
sometimes run backward.

Ian
Co-author of GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool