Re: Antw: Re: Patch for NetWare support

From: "Ulrich Neumann" <U_Neumann(at)gne(dot)de>
To: <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Antw: Re: Patch for NetWare support
Date: 2002-08-13 17:42:48
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hello together,

I've looked into the problem in more detail again and i've found a bug
in LibC on NetWare. I've never seen this before with other
applications but now we can forget about this "hack".

I must say thanks for opening my eyes and solve this in a correct way.

Ulrich

"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> writes:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:54:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Should we even do that? What is srgc[0], and why should we care
whether
>> it can tell the difference between postgres and postmaster?

> Depends on how much we want Netware support. I'm assuming srgc[0] is
the
> Netware equivalent of argv[0], and is being used to determine the
name
> of the current executable.

Oh, oh, it's probably just a typo for argv[0]. Okay, I take back that
thought ... we do need argv[0] to work.

A system-dependent hack in the Makefiles would be at least as ugly as
system-dependent hack in main.c, but I think I like it better because
then the startup procedure isn't any different on netware than
anywhere
else. If I understood the patch as given, people would've had to say
"postmaster -post ..." on netware; that's bad.

regards, tom lane

(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)
This e-mail is virus scanned
Diese e-mail ist virusgeprueft