Large Tables/clustering/terrible performance of Postgresql

From: "Michael McAlpine" <mikem(at)vis(dot)oregonian(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Tables/clustering/terrible performance of Postgresql
Date: 2001-12-31 21:08:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Why does Postgres have such poor response times on LIKE queries.

In my database I have 1 table of 3.5 million rows. I try the follogin search

select * from table1 where name like 'SMITH, JO%';

this query takes 1:30 seconds to return the matching row.

I have physically order the table by name and added an index to name and performed a vacuum analyze to see if that helps. but still 1:30 for a result.

I have built the same setup on a MS SQL Server database and get response times of 1 to 2 seconds for the same query.

Any tips suggestions etc.. would be appreciated

Michael McAlpine