Re: A costing analysis tool

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A costing analysis tool
Date: 2005-10-13 06:57:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ouch! I just remembered locale and character sets and
encoding. I can't even begin to get my head around what to
do with those, unless it is just to make the tool agnostic
regarding those issues and test against a variety of setups.
Does that seem adequate?

I flash back to my first attempts to use LIKE 'XXX%' under
PostgreSQL...

-Kevin

>>> Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> 10/13/05 12:01 AM >>>
Reproducibility is way harder than it might seem at first glance.
What's worse, the obvious techniques for creating reproducible numbers
amount to eliminating variables that are important in the real world.
(One of which is size of database --- some people care about
performance of DBs that fit comfortably in RAM...)