Field count in a RECORD variable - plpgsql

From: "Mike Preston" <MPreston(at)mosscodilis(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Field count in a RECORD variable - plpgsql
Date: 2005-03-01 15:31:05
Lists: pgsql-general

I am building a generic crosstab function in plpgsql, where I can pass
in a SQL statement and return back the data pivoted with the values of
one column serving as headers of the return columns. If I use a RECORD
variable to scroll through the data, is there a way for me to tell the
number of fields returned by the SQL statement parameter?

thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Mike