oracle synchronization strategy

From: Randall Smith <randall(at)tnr(dot)cc>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: oracle synchronization strategy
Date: 2004-11-01 05:25:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I am going to sync a schema in postgres with one in an oracle db. The
tables are simple, but there are 200 of them. I would like to try to
keep the sync lag < 1 minute. Here is my idea. Please critique/suggest.

1. Set up stored proc on oracle that records a INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE
SQL action taken on a table into a log table.
2. Program reads the log table on oracle and issues the same SQL command
on the postgres db. In the same transaction, postgres writes to a log
showing the command has been executed.
3. The program will query the oracle log table on some frequency ~30
seconds.

What are your thoughts?

Randall