Re: perl vs php for postgresql

From: "Craig Orsinger" <cjorsinger(at)m5(dot)earthlink_net(dot)invalid>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: perl vs php for postgresql
Date: 2001-05-22 17:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <uskO6(dot)1504$5G1(dot)464213(at)typhoon2(dot)ba-dsg(dot)net>, "John"
<vze23skh(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote:

> It seems that I having problems locating the DBM:Pg module. I even
> followed the instructions on compiling postgresql to support it. My
> perl scripts don't seem to know about a Pg module and I have not had any
> luck finding answers. Is is easier to use php with postgresql? Will I
> have the same kinds of problems? Thanks for any advice.

I can't comment on the relative ease, but PHP is easy to use, at
least for small projects like mine. I don't mean to start a flame war
here, but Perl's syntax alwasy seemed a little obscure to me. I'm used
to C and C-inspired shells. Not knowing anything about PHP, it took
me about an hour to build a page that would display an HTML table
from select, with color-coded rows. Not too bad for an occasional
programmer.