Re: Authenticating user `postgres'

From: Arcady Genkin <a(dot)genkin(at)utoronto(dot)ca>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authenticating user `postgres'
Date: 2001-09-27 22:37:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:

> > The problem I'm having is that I want local UNIX user `postgres', who
> > is the database superuser, to be able to connect to any database
> > without a password. I want, for example, to be able to run a cronjob
> > like "pg_dumpall >backup", but I can't do that with my current setup.
>
> You have at least two possible ways to solve this:
> 1. use the PGPASSWORD environment variable to hold the postgres
> password.

But what if user 'postgres' has different passwords in different
databases? Or is it only template[12] that matter for pg_dumpall?

> 2. use a "ident" entry in pg_hba.conf to authorize only localhost.

But I only want UNIX user *postgres* to be able to connect without
password.

> I remember there being a "match" auth-type...

It isn't in the docs...
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?client-authentication.html

Thank you for your reply,
--