Re: Return of INSTEAD rules

From: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Return of INSTEAD rules
Date: 2002-10-04 16:00:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 22:21:27 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Momjian
<pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>so I propose we handle
>INSTEAD rules this way: that we return the oid and tuple count of the
>last INSTEAD rule query with a tag matching the main query.

Bruce, this won't work for this example

>> CREATE RULE visible_delete AS -- DELETE rule
>> ON DELETE TO visible
>> DO INSTEAD
>> COUNT UPDATE table3
>> SET deleted = 1
>> WHERE pk = old.pk;

because here we don't have a rule query with a matching tag. Same
applies for

I wrote:
>> One argument against automatically "don't count non-INSTEAD rules and
>> count the last statement in INSTEAD rules"

Seems I introduced a little bit of confusion here by argueing against
something that has never been proposed before. Funny, that this
non-existent proposal is now seriously discussed :-(

Has the idea of extending the syntax to explicitly mark queries as
COUNTed already been rejected? If yes, I cannot help here. If no, I
keep telling you that this approach can emulate most of the other
possible solutions still under discussion.

Bruce wrote:
>If there is more than one matching tag in
>the INSTEAD rule, the user has the option to place the query he wants
>for the return at the end of the rule.

Are you sure this is always possible without unwanted side effects?

Servus
Manfred