Re: Problem with pgaccess

From: farqua <farqua(at)news(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with pgaccess
Date: 2004-04-04 05:19:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 08:59:52 -0800, Michal wrote:

> I have been trying to set up my first database using
> postgresql-7.3.4-11 on Red Hat Fedora Core 1 Linux.
> I setup database and I can access it from prompt
>> psql RabStudies
>
> I downloaded and installed pgaccess-0_99_0_20040219.tgz
> to make my life easier, but when I try to access
> database I get the following message
>
> Error trying to connect to database 'RabStudies' on local host.
> PostgreSQL error message: Connection to database failed could not
> connect to server: Connectionrefused Is the server running on host
> localhost and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> I don't have any clue what is wrong and how to fix it, so any
> suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Michal

You need to make changes to the pg_hba.conf configuration file to allow
local and/or host access.

I am a Mandrake 9.2 user and for the Mandrake package the
configuration file is located at /var/lib/pgsql/data. I uncommented out
the local and host type access using the default settings (you may wish
to customize them). If you want remote access, you'll have to enable the
tcpip_socket setting in the postgresql.conf file.

I have to say that none of the gui front-ends available for PostgreSQL
have been satisfactory.